How Our Card Breaks Work
Card Breaks are a different and fun way to get collectible cards for games like Pokemon, Magic the Gathering, Sports Cards etc.
Instead of purchasing packs of cards and opening them yourself, when you buy into "Breaks" you're buying into the experience of having your cards opened LIVE on stream and sharing that experience with like-minded people and friends.
Depending on the type of Break it is, you may then receive all of the "Hits" from the packs, or in the case of group breaks a certain share of cards.
Why Buy Into Card "Breaks"?
There are many reasons why people buy into "Breaks" as opposed to just buying packs of cards and opening them themselves at home. Here are just some of those reasons:
- MORE FUN - Opening packs at home, by yourself, can sometimes be boring. If you get a "hit" on a good card, there might not be anyone there with you to get excited with. Trying to then share that with people who are not into TCGs or Sports Card collecting usually lands on deaf ears if they're not into the hobby.
By having your cards opened during a Break, you get to share that experience with the LIVE streamer and other like-minded people who are interested in the hobby. Whenever the streamer pulls a big hit, it can be a much more fun experience!
- SAVE TIME - With the recent growth of TCGs and the Sports Card market, being able to buy packs of cards has become increasingly more difficult. Driving around from store to store, only to find that they don't have any stock on the card packs you want to buy can be frustrating. Buying into "Breaks" allows you to save time and get the packs you want from the comfort of your own home.
- SAVE SPACE - Most TCGs and Sports Card packs contain a combination of higher value cards, referred to as "hits", and lower value common cards, referred to as "bulk" or "commons". Whether you're hunting for a specific Pokemon card, Rookie card, or other higher value card, opening up packs yourself will lead to a large quantity of "bulk/commons" which you may not have the space to store. By participating in Breaks which only send you the "Hits" that are pulled, you save on space. Also, by only sending out "Hits" we can save on shipping, which will help us to keep prices lower long term. *IF* however, you want the "bulk/commons", we may also offer breaks which include that with the purchase. Each break you purchase will indicated if "bulk/commons" are included or not. In either case, you can be assured that you will receive all of the "Hits" indicated in the break.
- MAKE FRIENDS - By watching Break streams you get to hang out with like-minded people who are into the same hobby as you are, and to share in the experience of collecting cards. Even if you're not participating in purchasing Breaks yourself, and simply prefer to open up packs yourself at home, you can still hang out and share your successes and hits.
- SUPPORT YOUR COMMUNITY - Over the years the Twitch community has supported it's streamers and content producers in a variety of different ways, such as by subscribing to channels, donating bits, placing donations, or by purchasing products and services that the streamers produce. Buying into Breaks can be another way to support a streamer with the added bonus of having fun, and getting some cards in return.
What Types of "Breaks" Do We Do?
There are a number of different types of breaks that we're looking to do. Each one is slightly different from the others, so please read through the different types so that you're aware of what you're buying into.
Personal Breaks - HITS ONLY - Pokemon / MTG / Sports Cards
Personal Breaks (Hits Only) - are typically where a person buys a certain number of packs and then those packs are opened LIVE on stream and then that person receives ONLY the "Hits" from the packs that are opened. What is considered a "Hit" varies depending on the types of cards are being opened, but the description in the "Break" spot you are purchasing will state what is considered a "Hit" and what is considered "Bulk/Commons".
Personal Breaks - ALL CARDS - Pokemon / MTG / Sports Cards
Personal Breaks (All Cards) - are typically where a person buys a certain number of packs and then those packs are opened LIVE on stream and then that person receives ALL of the cards in the packs, including the "Bulk/Commons". Each "Break" spot you purchase will indicate whether it includes the "Bulk/Commons" or not. Generally speaking, Breaks which include "Bulk/Commons" may cost a bit more.
Group Breaks - Pokemon Cards
Group Breaks for Pokemon Cards are usually where a larger amount of packs (such as 36 or 72+ packs) are opened and there are usually 10 spots available in the group break. Each person who purchases a spot is randomly assigned a Pokemon energy type (ie. Fire, Water, Lightning etc.) and all of the "Hits" from that energy type are assigned to that person. People are also welcome to purchase multiple spots in the same group break which then means that they have one energy type assigned to them per break spot they purchased.
Group Breaks - Sports Cards
Group Breaks for Sports Cards are usually where a larger amount of packs (such as 24 or 48+ packs) are opened and there are usually 30+ spots available in the group break. Each person who purchases a spot is randomly assigned a Team from the type of sport card break they are buying into. For example if buying into a Hockey Card Group Break, there might be 31 spots open representing each of the hockey teams (ie. NY Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks etc.) and all of the "Hits" from that team are assigned to that person. People are also welcome to purchase multiple spots in the same group break which then means that they have one team assigned to them per break spot they purchased.
Where You Can Watch Your Breaks
We stream our Breaks LIVE on Twitch on our channel here -> https://www.twitch.tv/tabletopgamerdotcom
We are a variety hobby streamer and we stream hobby related content like building and painting miniatures and more recently now doing Live Breaks. Our stream schedule is TUE/THU/SAT from 8:30pm-10:30pm Pacific, and we will schedule Break spots during those times and expand our streaming schedule as necessary. If you are not able to watch your break session live, there is an automatic recording available for you to watch for 30 days after the live stream.
If you haven't already, we recommend clicking the "FOLLOW" button on our channel page to be notified when we stream.
Do You Offer Refunds on Breaks?
Due to the nature of how Breaks work, we are unable to offer refunds on Breaks. Please read through all the information on this page and the Break descriptions to familiarize yourself with what you are purchasing. If you have any questions at all, please Contact Us before placing your order.
A Word About the Pricing of Our Breaks
One of the more common questions our customers ask is about the pricing of card breaks and more specifically how does it compare to just buying packs yourself at a store. Does it cost more to buy into a break? Does it cost less? etc.
The answer to whether Breaks cost less or more, compared to buying your own packs, is that it really depends.
Although we strive to be as competitive as possible with our pricing, the collectible card market right now is in a constant state of change with pricing increasing constantly with demand continuing to grow faster than the available supply. Also, with so much demand, there are major allocation issues in the supply chain which means that in certain places a product may be more readily available at a few local stores, while in other places the same product is not available at all or available only by placing yourself on a long waiting list.
Finding product through regular distribution channels is very difficult so we buy the majority of our product through retailers and then offer those products to our customers through "Breaks". In some cases, such as by buying in large quantity bulk purchases or by driving around and trying to source out product yourself you may be able to find more competitive pricing out there on certain packs.
If getting the absolute cheapest price on a card pack is most important to you, and you have the time and patience to source out your own product, and prefer to open up packs yourself at home, then buying into "Breaks" is probably not for you. If you want to save time, and have some fun while hanging out with other like-minded people, then buying into "Breaks" might be more up your alley. Either way, even if you prefer to buy your own packs, feel free to hang out and share in the fun of others who buy into our Breaks.
In a lot of cases, if you factor in things like saving time, cost of supplies like sleeves / top loaders, and being able to buy in at a smaller initial cost, buying into "Breaks" can be an awesome way to get cards are a great price while at the same time having some fun.
How Does Shipping Work?
To save money on shipping costs, our breaks usually don't include shipping in the price of the break. Instead you purchase shipping separately so that you only pay shipping once, regardless whether you're buying one "Break" spot or ten or more.
We offer a flat-rate shipping price of:
- $12.95 CAD for Shipments Within Canada
- $18.95 CAD (Approx $13.95 USD) for Shipments to USA
You can buy into one or multiple breaks at the same time, and have your items shipped out right away, or you can buy into multiple breaks over several weeks and then pay shipping only once to send out all the cards at the same time.
If you are already purchased a break and paid shipping once and want to buy into more breaks and have them shipped together, you can use the coupon code "delayshipping" to not be charged shipping on the second order.
Also, we do offer FREE SHIPPING over a certain amount on our store.
Orders over $175+ CAD (before taxes and shipping), shipping to Canadian addresses will be shipped free of charge. Orders over $225+ CAD (before taxes and shipping), shipping to US addresses will be shipped free of charge.
If you have any other questions please Contact Us.